So far, the holiday shopping season is off to a weak start, with sales for Thanksgiving and Black Friday up only
2.3% over last year’s numbers. Given that store foot traffic was actually down on Black Friday compared to a year ago overall, should retailers now pin their hopes on a surge in attraction to the online shopping bargains of Cyber Monday?
Possibly, and they should keep their eyes on African American consumers, who are project to have
buying power of $1.1 trillion by 2015. A recent report by Nielsen shows a leap in interest in Cyber Monday by African Americans, particularly on coupon and reward sites.
“I think what is interesting is the new picture we’re getting of the black consumer, said financial journalist
Stacey Tisdale, speaking on . “On Cyber Monday, the people who plan to spend more online are black folks – almost the highest of any other group.” with NewsOne Now Roland Martin
Despite the growth in interest, black people are still being overlooked by advertisers, says Tisdale. ”It’s going to be interesting to watch how the retail industry is going to have to shift to adapt to these patterns,” Tisdale said. “O
ur numbers are too big and we’re too powerful a force, and we’re going to have to be reflected.”
Watch what she said about black people and holiday shopping, in the clip below.
Be sure to tune in to with NewsOne Now Roland Martin, weekdays at 7 a.m. EST.
MORE ON NEWSONE NOW
How You Can Shop Black During the Holidays
Is Michelle Obama A ‘Feminist Nightmare’?
Obama Schools Pro-Immigration Heckler
Also On Spirit 1400:
18 photos Launch gallery
1 of 18
2. Thank You Jesus for giving me my smile back. I sure do appreciate You.
2 of 18
3. I've been feeling this pink lip color lately. My hubby, @ejgaines, says that if I were a color, I'd be hot pink. I'm with it! Lol
3 of 18
4. 2 services, 7 songs, headed to airport, flight in a few, concert tonight in Indiana and I'm still smiling! #LifeLessons
4 of 18
5. This little light of mine...#Unstoppable#GrayingGracefully
5 of 18
6. Smiling Days
6 of 18
7. Red carpet ready!!! @siralgernon is everything!!! Showed some of his hidden talents with this whole look. Lol!!!! #journeytothetruth #stopatthestellars #stellars2015
7 of 18
8. Fav pic. #TheBeginning. ☺️😘
8 of 18
9. When I'm bored... In my @rebdolls black dress love them! 💞
9 of 18
10. Leaving Chicago headed for NY for PERFECTING FAITH's 2 services! BELIEVING GOD FOR A GREAT MIRACLE! Lets go, Cheri -!
10 of 18
11. In my office preparing to teach biblical studies tonight...God's word is overwhelmingly GOOD!!! @getthevictory 7pm.
11 of 18
12. Great things happening! 2015 is the year to get things DONE!
12 of 18
13. Happy Sunday!
13 of 18
14 of 18
15. It feels good to be home in Deeeeeetroit for a few days! Trying to catch up with all my people while i'm in town!😎
15 of 18
16. Trumpet Awards Selfie!!!! I SO Enjoyed This Show!!! Man!!! Yall are gonna love it! #Blessed
16 of 18
17 of 18
18. Thank you so much Pastor & First Lady Crozier for having us today. Abundant Life & everyone else from W Virginia who came out we love you! ❤️ #churchselfiechallenge #ResurrectionSunday
18 of 18