In an exclusive PEOPLE Magazine exit interview with the First Couple, Michelle Obama revealed exactly what she did on election night as Donald Trump was being crowned our new Commander-in-Chief.
“I went to bed. I don’t like to watch the political discourse; I never have,” she said. “I barely did with him, referring to her husband, President Barack Obama.
The third wall is slowly starting to unravel as the Obamas’ White House tenure comes to an end and they become more comfortable speaking frankly on topics ranging from politics to race.
But, it was Michelle Obama’s bold assertion of her message while campaigning for Hillary Clinton that truly set the tone for the interview.
Obama used most of the summer to stump for Clinton, even clinching a historic moment at the Democratic National Convention in July. During her formal endorsement speech, Obama’s phrase, “When they go low, we go high“ ramped up momentum for the frequently lambasted Democratic candidate and also strengthened the general public’s opinion of her.
But just as the First Lady campaigned thoroughly for Clinton, she used her platform on multiple occasions to criticize Donald Trump––never actually mentioning his name.
“Anything that I felt about the election I said and I stand by. This is our democracy, and this is how it works,” she said. “We are ready to work with the next administration and make sure they are as successful as they can be. Because that’s what’s best for this country.”
Obviously, she did not mince words.
SOURCE: PEOPLE | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Malia and Sasha Say They’re Ready To Leave The Nest
The Danger Of Double Standards In 2016
Also On Spirit 1400:
15 photos Launch gallery
1 of 15
2. Thank You Jesus for giving me my smile back. I sure do appreciate You.
2 of 15
3. I've been feeling this pink lip color lately. My hubby, @ejgaines, says that if I were a color, I'd be hot pink. I'm with it! Lol
3 of 15
4. 2 services, 7 songs, headed to airport, flight in a few, concert tonight in Indiana and I'm still smiling! #LifeLessons
4 of 15
5. This little light of mine...#Unstoppable#GrayingGracefully
5 of 15
6. Smiling Days
6 of 15
7. Red carpet ready!!! @siralgernon is everything!!! Showed some of his hidden talents with this whole look. Lol!!!! #journeytothetruth #stopatthestellars #stellars2015
7 of 15
8. When I'm bored... In my @rebdolls black dress love them! 💞
8 of 15
9. In my office preparing to teach biblical studies tonight...God's word is overwhelmingly GOOD!!! @getthevictory 7pm.
9 of 15
10. Great things happening! 2015 is the year to get things DONE!
10 of 15
11. Happy Sunday!
11 of 15
12 of 15
13. It feels good to be home in Deeeeeetroit for a few days! Trying to catch up with all my people while i'm in town!😎
13 of 15
14. Trumpet Awards Selfie!!!! I SO Enjoyed This Show!!! Man!!! Yall are gonna love it! #Blessed
14 of 15
15 of 15