Disgraced comedian Bill Cosby (above, center) hopes to cop a plea deal that will allow him to avoid jail time, according to the infamous Page Six section of the New York Post.
Cosby reportedly plans to ask his attorneys to seek a plea deal to avoid a trial, according to a source who spoke with the paper.
Cosby admitted in a 2005 civil lawsuit to giving women drugs before sex, and a Pennsylvania judge ruled his words admissible in a criminal trial slated to begin in June.
In that trial, Cosby has been charged with three counts of felony aggravated indecent assault in a 2004 incident involving a former Temple University student. PEOPLE magazine reports that each count carries a prison sentence of up to ten years.
A source reportedly told the New York tab that the Cosby family, including wife Camille, believes Cosby would not fare well in a trial and that he should be eligible for a sentence of just probation, so that he will not die in prison.
Cosby is now 79 years old, and reportedly legally blind.
“They are hoping that the district attorney will feel as though he’s won with a plea deal and they’re thinking that the DA will consider Cosby’s age, his medical condition, the fact that he’s paid the victim on the case millions, and the fact that his career is over,” the source said.
A spokesperson for the Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, District Attorney’s Office declined to comment on a possible deal.
Though he has been accused of drugging and raping more than 50 women, going back to the 1960s, Cosby always has maintained his innocence.
SOURCE: New York Post, PEOPLE
Bill Cosby Confesses To Drug-Fueled Sex With Teens In Explosive New Deposition; Judge Rules He Will Stand Trial
Bill Cosby Is Legally Blind, Lawyers Say
Also On Spirit 1400:
15 photos Launch gallery
1 of 15
2. Thank You Jesus for giving me my smile back. I sure do appreciate You.
2 of 15
3. I've been feeling this pink lip color lately. My hubby, @ejgaines, says that if I were a color, I'd be hot pink. I'm with it! Lol
3 of 15
4. 2 services, 7 songs, headed to airport, flight in a few, concert tonight in Indiana and I'm still smiling! #LifeLessons
4 of 15
5. This little light of mine...#Unstoppable#GrayingGracefully
5 of 15
6. Smiling Days
6 of 15
7. Red carpet ready!!! @siralgernon is everything!!! Showed some of his hidden talents with this whole look. Lol!!!! #journeytothetruth #stopatthestellars #stellars2015
7 of 15
8. When I'm bored... In my @rebdolls black dress love them! 💞
8 of 15
9. In my office preparing to teach biblical studies tonight...God's word is overwhelmingly GOOD!!! @getthevictory 7pm.
9 of 15
10. Great things happening! 2015 is the year to get things DONE!
10 of 15
11. Happy Sunday!
11 of 15
12 of 15
13. It feels good to be home in Deeeeeetroit for a few days! Trying to catch up with all my people while i'm in town!😎
13 of 15
14. Trumpet Awards Selfie!!!! I SO Enjoyed This Show!!! Man!!! Yall are gonna love it! #Blessed
14 of 15
15 of 15